Institute of Magicians

From MagicPedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Jump to: navigation, search

Institute of Magicians was a magic organization in England that was formed in 1934 when Alfred Giddings (of The Marriotts and then The Zomahs), who had been a member of The Magicians' Club for over 20 years, resigned over the question of exposures, and about 20 similar-minded members did likewise to form a new organization.

Founded in London, but as the years went by there were branches of the club in Hove, Portsmouth, Wakefield, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Edinburgh, and Detroit in the U.S.A.

The first twenty members were: C. Kirby, A. Zomah, L. Crosbie, J. Bradbury, W. Melmore, A. Bowsher, R. Bishop, G. Kirkdale, J. O’Neill, Fisher, A. Mende, F. White, 0. Oswald, J. M. Rubens, F. Keep, J. O’Rourke Mallichan, C. Buffham, G. G. King, H. W. Smith, A; Palmer, and F. W. Holly.

In 1938 the first issue of the "Journal", the club magazine, was edited by Fred Barlow.

The Institute of Magicians and the Magic Circle were joined in 1942 by The London Society of Magicians as the three magic clubs functioning in England at the time.

In 1965 the London club folded and a few members formed the "Abbey Guild of Magicians" in 1966 which only lasted a year. In 1981, the name "Institute of Magicians" was revived in new south London which met monthly until 1986. The next attempt was in 1989 by Mr. Robert Holwill which held occasional meetings.

References

  • 139. THE FINAL DECADE OF THE MAGICIANS' CLUB of the Rich Cabinet of Magical Curiosities By Edwin A. Dawes, Magic Circular, November 1989.
  • Twenty-one Years of Magical Service THE INSTITUTE OF MAGICIANS 1934 - 1955, Wizard, October 1955</ref>
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Interaction
Support our sponsor
Share
Print/export
Toolbox