Cover of Genii (1966)
|Born||Paul Fleming Gemmill|
May 30, 1889
in York County, Pennsylvania
|Died||December 30, 1976 (age 87) |
Broomall Nursing Home in Swarthmore, Pa.
|Resting place||Goose Creek Burying Ground, Lincoln, Loudoun County, Virginia|
|Categories||Books by Paul Fleming|
Paul Fleming (1890-1976) was a professor of economics and a professional magician born in York, Pennsylvania. He was assistant to both Eugene Laurant and Karl Germain. In 1915, he took over the Germain tour and toured as "Paul Germain".
He became a professor of economics, teaching at the University of Pennsylvania for over 40 years. Together with his brother Walker, he founded the Fleming Book Company, which published many classics books on magic. He edited The Fleming Classics in Magic series of books.
Fleming wrote what some consider the best book reviews in magic, which were published in a three volume set.
- Paul Fleming Book Reviews, Vol. 1 (1944)
- Paul Fleming Book Reviews, Vol. 2 (1946)
- Paul Fleming Book Reviews, Vol. 3 (1978)
- ↑ Laurent by Gabe Fajuri (2005)
- ↑ Cover, Genii Magazine, Vol. 30, No. 11, July 1966, Our Cover, Paul and Walker Fleming, the Fleming Book Company, page 456
- ↑ Obit Genii, Vol. 41, No. 1, January 1977, A Tribute by John Henry Grossman, page 48
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 24, No. 7, September 1944, Paul Fleming Gemmill, by John Braun, page 24
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 50, No. 3, March 1970, Memoirs Of A Magician's Ghost, by John Booth, CHAPTER 37, page 29, Paul Fleming, The Magician and his Company – an Evening of Magic, page 30
- Goodliffe's Abracadabra, Vol. 63, No. 1617, January 1977, PAUL FLEMING GEMMILL, A Tribute by Bayard Grimshaw, page 131
- The Magic Circular, Vol. 71, No. 776, January-February 1997, Paul Fleming – The Magician, 1889-1976, A Tribute by John Henry Grossman, page 32
- The New Tops, Vol. 17, No. 2, February 1977, Final Curtain, Paul Fleming, by John Henry Grossman, page 50
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 57, No. 3, March 1977, Paul Fleming Dies by John Henry Grossman, page 97
- M-U-M, Vol. 66, No. 10, March 1977, Broken Wands, Dr. Paul F. Gemmill (Paul Fleming), page 23
- The Magic Circular, Vol. 91, No. 980, November 1997, A Rich Cabinet of Magical Curiosities by Edwin A. Dawes, PAUL FLEMING, THE MAGICIAN, Part One: Academia, economics, magic and publishing, page 215
- The Magic Circular, Vol. 91, No. 981, December 1997, A Rich Cabinet of Magical Curiosities by Edwin A. Dawes, PAUL FLEMING, THE MAGICIAN, Part One: Academia, economics, magic and publishing (continued), page 242
- Cover, M-U-M, Vol. 98, No. 7, December 2008, The Economist Magician, by Robert Kirkwood Spencer, page 65, A Plea for Magical Literature by Paul Fleming, page 67