Cover of Genii (1984)
|Born||Samuel Henry Sharpe|
August 31, 1902
Retford, Nottinghamshire, England
|Died||July 27, 1992 (age 89) |
After leaving school Sharpe joined the Asbestos and Rubber Company, managing their sports and conjuring departments. He was an active performer and along with Clem Hill founded of the Hull and East Riding Magicians' Society in December 1921.
In 1923 he had to give up his work due to illness, eventually to seeking an open-air occupation. He started a poultry breeding farm and apiary, which he continued to operate until his retirement in the early 1960s.
Neo Magic was first published in an edition of 500 copies in 1932 by George Johnson, publisher-editor of the Magic Wand. Johnson still had copies of the book in storage when World War II broke out, and they were destroyed during the London blitz of 1940. A second printing of 750 copies was issued after the war, in 1946.
- The Milbourne Christopher Award for Devant's Delightful Delusions
- Literary Fellowship from the Academy Of Magical Arts (1983)
- The Magic Circle Maskelyne Literary Award (1990).
- J.N. Hofzinser's Card Conjuring (1931) as Translator
- Neo Magic (1932)
- Conjured Up (1935)
- Good Conjuring (1936)
- Ponsin On Conjuring (1937) as Translator
- Magic Artistry (1938)
- Introducing Houdini versus Robert-Houdin (1955)
- The Magic Play (1976)
- Salutations to Robert-Houdin (1983)
- Words on Wonder (1984)
- Conjurers' Optical Secrets (1986)
- Conjuror's Psychological Secrets (1988)
- Conjurers' Mechanical Secrets (1990)
- Devant's Delightful Delusions (1990)
- Conjurers' Hydraulic and Pneumatic Secrets (1991)
- Neo Magic Artistry (2000)
- Art and Magic (2003)
- ↑ The Magic Circlular, Vol. 86, No. 929, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 1992, Obituary, page 196
- ↑ Linking Ring Vol. 72, No. 10, October 1992, Obituary, page 117
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 48, No. 3, March 1968, OUR COVER, S.H. SHARPE by Wilf Huggins, page 62
- Genii, Vol. 48, No. 6, June 1984, S.H. Sharpe - Special Issue, S.H. SHARPE ... The Man and His Work by Eric C. Lewis, page 427