Theatre Robert-Houdin

From MagicPedia, the free online encyclopedia for magicians by magicians.
Jump to: navigation, search

Theatre Robert-Houdin (1854-1852) was created by Robert-Houdin in Paris on the first floor of 8 Boulevard des Italiens, Paris, and seated around 200. Robert-Houdin himself never appeared there. He later passed it to his brother-in-law, Hamilton.

The Théâtre Robert-Houdin was renowned as the most famous magic theaters in Paris when Georges Méliès bought it in 1888. He reopened it in October that year and developed many stage illusions there. Over the next decade Méliès devised over twenty-five major stage illusions, many of which were later to inspire his films. His films actually became part of the repertory there and many employed elaborate sets to make it appear as though they were being performed on the stage.

The theater closed with the onset of the First World War and was eventually demolished in the 1920s to make way for a road.

Personal tools
Support our sponsor