David Oliver (April 28, 1966 - ), an American magician born and raised in Rockland, Massachusetts (a suburb of Boston), is known for his neoclassic style of performing with Doves, Zombie and Linking Rings (Stage Magic), his comedy and Close Up Magic, as well as for mentoring many youth performers throughout the New England and New York areas for more than 25 years.
|Born||April 28, 1966|
|Categories||Books by David Oliver|
The son of a police officer and homemaker, Oliver is the youngest of four brothers. Involved in the arts and magic since youth, he has appeared onstage and television since the age of six. Performed magic & comedy shows throughout high school and college years, and worked part-time for over a decade at Hank Lee's Magic Factory in Boston. Oliver headlines and lectures at numerous conventions and magic clubs across the U.S. He performs regularly at The Mystery Lounge in Cambridge, Massachusetts and at Monday Night Magic in New York City.
David Oliver is a full-time, professional magician who performs for corporations, colleges, cruises and at private functions across the United States. Oliver and his magic have also been featured in three films, "A Woman In Half" (1991) "American Carney: True Tales From The Circus Sideshow" (2005), and the documentary, "Magic Camp" (2012) 
He has been a columnist for M-U-M Magazine, written for MAGIC Magazine, Linking Ring, The Magic Menu and is currently a product reviewer for Genii Magazine . Since 1987, he has served as adult director of The John Calvert, Boston Area Assembly Number 29 of The Society Of Young Magicians, and as one of the senior advisors at Tannen's Magic Camp.
In October 2008, David Oliver underwent lung surgery, for a potentially fatal lung affliction called Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis or Bird Fancier's Lung, caused by working and living with the birds in his show. Subsequently, the doves were removed from his show, after being a feature in his act for more than 25 years. The August 2011 issue of Genii detailed his ordeal with the birds ("Death Defying Dove Acts"), complete with a list of symptoms and how to avoid the same situation.
In July of 2012, the Society of American Magicians national council honored (and surprised) David for his 25 years of mentoring the Boston area S.Y.M., by renaming the group, "The John Calvert - David Oliver, Boston-Area Assembly Number 29 of The Society Of Young Magicians."
Oliver still performs full-time, and lives outside of Boston, in Rockland, Massachusetts.
- Oliver's Twists - The David Oliver Lecture Experience by David Oliver (1995, 2008)
- A Pocket Full Of Glitter by David Oliver (1999)
- Shinko Nagisa's Arm Twisting Illusion by Meir Yedid (1989)
- Son Of Simon Says by Simon Lovell (2000)
- SWITCH, Unfolding the $100 Bill Change by John Lovick (2006)
- Grandson Of Simon Says by Simon Lovell (as of 2008- currently at press)
- Fulminations Plus, Vol. I by Gary Ouellet (Book one - reprinted from Genii column #10, #17) (1994)
- Magic Menu - The First Five Years by Jim Sisti (March/April 1993, Issue 16) - 1995.
Awards and Honors
- Super Sunday Convention in PA; Honoring David Oliver, November 2007
- NEMCON XXV Convention in CT; Honoring David Oliver, February 2006
- S.A.M. National Presidential Citation For Dedication To The S.Y.M., February 2006
- "David Oliver; Magician, Mentor & More", Featured Cover Story, M-U-M, April 2001
- "Resolution Of Congratulations For Accomplishments In The Field Of Magic" from Mass. House Of Representatives, Adopted July 24, 1996
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467144/fullcredits#cast
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429572/
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1525580/
- ↑ Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- ↑ Bird Fancier's Lung