|Born||Martin Allan Nash|
March 18, 1933
Parksville B.C., Vancouver, Canada
|Died||July 20, 2009 (age 76) |
Burnaby, B.C. Vancouver, Canada
|Known for||"Charming Cheat"|
Martin Allan Nash (1933 - 2009) was a close-up card magician who specialized in gambling/cheating demonstrations. He billed himself as the "Charming Cheat" and was a regular at The Magic Castle, where he frequently received standing ovations for his Castle act, appropriately dubbed "Ovation." Bob Farmer also uncovered a sideline of Nash's while doing research on marked cards, when a forensics expert at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police told him Nash had helped them catch cheats working the lumber camps of British Columbia.
- 2005 Canadian Association of Magicians Lifetime Achievement Award
- 1998 Academy of Magical Arts Performing Fellowship
- 1991 Academy of Magical Arts Close-Up Magician of the Year
Written by Stephen Minch:
Written by Jon Racherbaumer
- Martin A Nash Award-Winning Card Magic, Volumes 1-5. Meir Yedid Magic, January, 2010. Originally released as single videos and DVDs by A-1 MagicalMedia, 1998-2004. Combined running time: Approximately 7 hours 30 minutes.
- Charming Cheat Show & Lecture DVD. Meir Yedid Magic, from the A-1 MagicalMedia collection, March, 2004. Originally released on VHS in 2002 as "Martin A. Nash Live!" Running time: Approximately 75 minutes.
- Infinity and Beyond (Martin Nash tips his method for controlling cards and teaches his Tabled Faro technique). Meir Yedid Magic, from the A-1 MagicalMedia collection. Originally released on VHS in 1995. Re-released on DVD in 2004. Running time: Approximately 92 minutes.
- The Very Best of Martin Nash, Volumes 1-3. L&L Publishing, 2005. Originally released on VHS in 1981 as a six-part series produced by Videonics (The Fun Routine, Kings Incognito, Colors on the March, Nash Reputation, Jacks are Better, The Castle Act and Magician's Magic).
Martin Nash in Genii
- 1994 • December - Martin Nash's Very Best Tabled False Cut, published in Gary Ouellet's Fulminations column.
- The Linking Ring, Vol. 45. No. 8, August 1965, Canadian Hocus Pocus Parade, MARTIN NASH, page 70
- Sid Lorraine Files Folder, 33 AP, n.d., TO CHEAT AT CARDS AND DICE by Paul Grescoe, page 14
- Best of Friends, Volume I (1982, 2001), Short Biography page 74
- Best of Friends, Volume III (2007), Short Biography page 197
- Genii Magazine, Vol. 72, No. 9, September 2009, Genii Speaks, page 11, IN MEMORIAM MARTIN NASH, by Jamy Ian Swiss, page 14
- M-U-M, Vol. 99, No. 4, September 2009, BROKEN WANDS, Martin Nash, page 26
- Magische Welt, Vol. 58, No. 5, September/Oktober 2009, In Memoriam, Martin Nash, page 208
- http://www.lybrary.com/martin-a-nash-m-136.html, Martin A. Nash