Schulien's Restaurant and Saloon, opened by Matt Schulien in Chicago, was one of the first restaurants to feature performing close-up magicians and one of Chicago's oldest family-owned and operated restaurants.
Schulien's got its start in 1888 with Matt's father Joe, who had been a beer wagon driver for Schiltz. He bought a pub called the "Quincy No. 9." in Chicago to prevent it from being bought by a rival brewer.
Later they moved to 1800 North Halsted Street serving locals as an old-world German tavern. Matt, grew up and learned to do magic from an old-time German magician. During Prohibition, Schulien kept his tavern going by running a speakeasy in the basement.
Around 1956, Schulien retired from the "1800 North Halsted" Restaurant and Bar and opened for his sons "Schulien & Sons" at 2100 Irving Park Road. The "1800 North Halsted" was bought by Don Alan and Lee LeRoi.
Schulien's walls were covered with yellowed newspaper clippings (like, "Titanic Sinks") and celebrity photographs. Schulien's was a gathering place for Magician, like Ed Marlo.
After Matt's death in 1967, his son Charlie continued, along with his son Robert, to entertain patrons.
Schulien's closed on January 27, 1999 shortly after the death Charles Schulien on August 5, 1998.
After its close, Schulien's was sold to the owners of the Twisted Lizard in Lincoln Park and then transformed into the Irving Ale House for a short stint prior to becoming O'Donovan's, where Al James continued to perform.
- Matt Schulien
- Charles Schulien
- Bobby Schulien
- Heba Haba Al
- Al James
- Bill Weimer
- Jim Krzak
- Ken Mate
- Mr. Ash
- Lee Levin
- Bill Pack
- Lee Broskey
- Schulien's Restaurant and Saloon Celebrates 100th Anniversary by Joyce Heitler in Genii 1986 May, vol. 49, no. 11, page 745
- Bobby Schulien and Al James - Telephone interview 2009