Schulien's Restaurant and Saloon, run by Matt Schulien in Chicago, was one of the first restaurants to feature performing close-up magicians and one of Chicago's oldest family-owned and operated restaurants.
Schulien's got its start in 1880s with Matt's father Joe, who had been a beer wagon driver for Schlitz. He operated saloons at a number of different locations around the city.
In 1916, Joe purchased the building at 1800 North Halsted Street and went into business with his sons Matt and Ed. During Prohibition, Schulien ran a speakeasy in the basement.
Around 1948, Schulien retired from the "1800 North Halsted" Restaurant and Bar and opened "Schulien's" at 2100 Irving Park Road. The "1800 North Halsted" was bought by Don Alan and Lee LeRoi. It is now the home of "The Black Duck".
Schulien's walls were covered with memorabilia and photographs of celebrities. Schulien's was a gathering place for magicians like Ed Marlo.
After Matt's death in 1967, his son Charlie continued, along with his son Robert, to entertain patrons.
Schulien's closed on January 27, 1999 shortly after the death Charles Schulien on August 5, 1998.
After its close, Schulien's was sold to the owners of the Twisted Lizard in Lincoln Park and then transformed into the Irving Ale House for a short stint prior to becoming O'Donovan's, where Al James and Jim Krzak continued to perform.
- Matt Schulien
- Charles Schulien
- Bobby Schulien
- Heba Haba Al
- Al James
- Bill Weimer
- Jim Krzak
- Ken Mate
- Mr. Ash
- Lee Levin
- Bill Pack
- Lee Broskey
- Schulien's Restaurant and Saloon Celebrates 100th Anniversary by Joyce Heitler in Genii 1986 May, vol. 49, no. 11, page 745
- Bobby Schulien and Al James - Telephone interview 2009