Glasgow Society Of Magicians
The Glasgow Society of Magicians (1918-1924) was formed in September of 1918 by many previous members of the then defunct Universal Society in Glasgow, including Peter Allan (Allan Peterson), Captain Townsend, Eugene DeVoe, Jock Kilpatrick, and William Morgan
The meetings were held in The Royal Glasgow Institute for the Blind at 158 West Regent Street, Glasgow, Carlton Halls 567 New City Road, Glasgow and 180 West Regent Street, Glasgow.
They published a members only magazine so those who could not attend regularly could be kept up-to-date. The editors were DeVega (Alex Stewart) followed by Harry Vernon and later by Will Dale.
The club honored a number of well known professional magicians by making them Honorary Presidents, Vice Presidents or Members. These included David Devant, Harry Houdini, Billy O’Connor, Dr. A.M. Wilson, Chris Van Bern and Owen Clark.
The Society had at least three lady members which included Mrs Charles Adam, Mrs Charles Lumsden Chapman and Mrs Charles Durwood.
They presented their first show on the 22nd of October in 1919 with a cast that included Rex Regent, Nelson Lyford, Peter Allan, DeVega, Leslie Maxwell and C.H.Charlton (the Royal Conjurer).
The club continued to meet until June of 1924.