Martinka & Company is America's oldest magic company. Throughout the years the company has acquired and combined with over 30 other magic firms including Hornmann and Milton Chase and its roots date back to the early 1800s.
In the back of their New York City store was a workshop where magic illusions were built for all of the famous magicians of the day. Customers of the past included Alexander Herrmann, Harry Kellar, Howard Thurston and Houdini.
The Martinka brothers also built the special effects for shows including the original production of The Wizard of Oz. In the 1940s, Martinka & Co. was involved in several top secret projects that still remain a mystery today.
The business has had a string of famous owners including Charles Joseph Carter The Great (1917), Harry Houdini (1919), Frank Ducrot (1921), Al Flosso, the Coney Island Fakir (1939), and Jackie Flosso.
In 1919 while Houdini was owner, he purchased Hornmanns Magic Company from Otto Hornmann, and merged the two businesses together. He then sold his 51 percent controlling stock to Alf Wilton after only nine months as President of Martinka & Co..
In 1921, Frank Ducrot moved the business moved to 304 West 34th St. in New York City.
Today, the firm is run by Ted Bogusta and operates a brick and mortar shop with a mini museum as well as an online magic auction. The company continues to purchase magic collections and libraries, which are used to supply magicians and collectors throughout the world with vintage and modern magic.
In 2004 the shop moved from NYC to Midland Park, New Jersey.
| This page incorporated content from Martinka,
a page hosted on Wikipedia. Please consult the history of the original page to see a list of its authors. Therefor, this article is also available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License